Writing Process

 



My writing process... while I don't feel is unique it is unique to me and has taken me many years to feel comfortable with. 

I have talked about it in the past regarding outlining and whether it is better to outline or not. And yes there are times I do an outline and while I don't normally start with an outline I do usually end up with one. Let me explain. Usually, I pick a fest I want to do or a prompt. From there I stew on it for a while to determine which pair I want to use or what main character I want to focus on. 

Then I just start writing the idea that came from the prompt. For example, if I have picked a prompt it is because I really like it or already have an idea of what I want to do with it. So let's say I picked a Taejin professional cuddler prompt. I usually have an idea of what I want to do with it. Like I know I want Tae to work for a newspaper and he is being forced to write an article about a professional cuddler. The article is focusing on are they scammers or do they actually help people. From there I go with that Jin is the professional cuddler and then I just start writing. 

Usually, I write until I get stuck sometimes I can write it out until I feel like the story is complete and then simply go back edit it a few times and submit. Other times, however, I get stuck bad enough I need to take a complete break, sit down and do an outline. Once the outline is in place I can go back edit what I have based on my outline and finish up the story. Once the story is done based on the outline (I may change things here or there in the outline based on how the writing is going). I will go back and edit, then edit with Grammarly (a fantastic tool), then maybe have a beta reader read through it. Then edit it in AO3 before I submit it and publish it.

Also this story is up on AO3 if you want to read it I went to get hugged by a professional cuddler... here's how it went

From there I sit back and wait to see the responses I get. A lot of my stories are one-shots meaning I have no intention of ever going back and finishing them or giving them more to the stories but every once in a while if they get enough kudos, or feedbacks for more I might write another part. Or if I like the story enough or feel like there is more to it I might write a second part or follow up. 

That's it. That's my writing process, how do you write? What is your process for writing whether it is fanfiction or regular works? 

Comments