World Building


 

Fanfiction is a wonderful place to write for numerous reasons. 1) the characters are pretty much already done for you. If I said a member of a band's name you as the reader are already going to envision what they look like. If I said this fanfic is about a TV show you as the watcher of that show are going to know most of the main points. I won't have to come up with small things. Like hair color, eye color, establish who the person is (especially if I am following canon.) 

Now, if I decide that I want the band member or TV show character to do something else like be a writer cool. I still have a base to go off of and I just need to switch a few minor details here or there. Still super easy and wonderful I can instead work on the "plot of the story" or the "reason" I wanted to write to begin with.

Now the whole point of this post. WORLDBUILDING... It is honest to God one of my favorite parts of any writing. If I want a penguin hybrid Namjoon who falls in love with a human and presents a rock so now they are married because said human except... Oh yeah, my job is to convince you the reader that...

1) hybrids exist - not too hard I could probably do that pretty easily

2) what does a penguin hybrid look like (what parts are the penguin and what parts are human)

3) how does the human know that this is a hybrid or do they not

4) what rules do we make that go with this (aka the courting parts (rock), does the penguin hybrid eat only fish, how did meet, does he have basic rights, does he look human etc)

5) also how do love/mating and babies look like ... does the penguin lay an egg? have a literal penguin baby or is it a human

6) how detailed to I want to be

7) what is this piece going to be focused on?

This would be (and is in the works) such a fun piece but just one of the many things that go with world-building

I have a whole other prompt centered around magic and emotions. Emotions get "bottled up" there is a person who makes the bottles and you store those emotions... Now I have to build a WHOLE world around that. What does that world look like? Can you barter those emotions? What happens if someone bought only angry emotions and released them on the entire world at one time? Would there be any happy emotions left bottled up to fight it? 

Just think of how much fun this could be? I don't think a lot of people realize that just because you might know the Harry Potter characters or Hogwarts. You might know who Harry Potter was doesn't mean that you stop the world-building. A lot of things happened between, before, during, and after that time that had nothing to do with that story. That world is huge and so much more worldbuilding could and is being done around it. 

The beautiful part of fanfiction and world-building it this. it is as deep as you make it and as complex as you want it to go. So have fun with it. Describe it. Be a Stephen King or be as simple as there were lots of trees that looked different in the forest all scary... and move o

Happy writing!!

Comments